Gonorrhea is the second most commonly reported STD with 820,000 new cases reported each year. It occurs in both men and women and may or may not have symptoms.
If symptoms do appear in men, they’re likely to experience:
- The need to pee much more often, and with more urgency
- Discomfort around the penis or testicles (pain, swelling, burning)
- Discolored discharge from the penis
- Sore throat
Symptoms in women are different, and many ladies don’t experience symptoms at all.
If women do experience symptoms, they commonly include:
- Symptoms that act like a yeast infection
- Have to pee much more often, and with more urgency
- Sore throat and/or fever
- Pain during sex
- Sharp pain the abdomen
- Irregular periods
Who needs tested for gonorrhea?
A urine sample is used to screen for gonorrhea.
The CDC recommends the following people be routinely screened each year:
- all sexually active women younger than 25 years
- older women with risk factors such as new or multiple sex partners, or a sex partner who has a sexually transmitted infection
- all sexually active gay, bisexual, and other men who have sex with men (MSM)
Most cases of gonorrhea can be cured by taking antibiotics.
Test Smartly Labs can help if you need to test for gonorrhea or any other STD.