STD Testing and Sexual Health
Sexually transmitted diseases (STDs), also called sexually transmitted infections (STIs). We’ve all heard about them, but how common are they?
Much more than you probably think.
To help us grasp how far reaching the issue is, the Centers for Disease Control (CDC) published data reports:
- 20 million new infections each year
- 110 million total infections (new and existing) at any given time
- $16 billion – what STDs are costing us in medical expenses
If you’re sexually active, you can get an STD.
The only way to completely protect yourself is to remain abstinent.
STDs are infections that come from viruses that can spread from vaginal, anal, and oral sex.
Although anyone who is sexually active is at risk of contracting one, those at a higher risk include:
- Adolescents (starts in early teens) and young adults (age 18-40)
- Homosexual men (gay, bisexual) and men who have sex with men (MSM)
- Some racial and ethnic minorities
The United States Preventive Task Force (USPSTF) recommends screening in adults and adolescents ages 15-65,
How to decrease your chances of getting an STD
There are many ways to lower your chances of getting an STD, even if you plan to still have sex:
- One partner – if you only have sex with one person, you’ll lower your chances of getting an STD, especially if that person has tested negative for an STD.
- Known partner – sleeping with anonymous partners will increase your chances of getting an STD.
- Use protection – proper use of a latex condom will decrease the chances of getting an STD.
STDs can be asymptomatic. This means you could have one without ever showing signs or symptoms.
When to get tested for an STD?
Screening recommendations for STDs vary based on your age, sexual history and sexual partners.
If you’re sexually active, you’re at risk of STDs and should be tested annually an STD. Those at higher risk of STDs (multiple partners, anonymous partners, unprotected sex) may need screened more often.
Whatever your reason for STD or Sexual Health testing, Test Smartly Labs is here to provide accurate and confidential services.