The American Heart Association recommends all adults age 20 or older have their cholesterol checked every four to six years.
If you’re not routinely seeing a doctor for check-ups or trying to manage costs and want to get your labs drawn in a budget-friendly facility (compared to hospitals!), Test Smartly Labs can help!
How is cholesterol testing performed?
The cholesterol test is a blood test, also known as the complete fasting lipoprotein. It’s performed using a blood draw, and you can’t eat or drink 8 hours before the test (AKA complete fasting.)
We recommend you take your in the morning – and we can make sure you get in and out of our office quickly.
If you or your doctor want other panels run in addition to cholesterol (like CMP), we will collect all of the blood samples necessary run the panels all at once- so you won’t need multiple pokes.
What does a cholesterol test look at?
The cholesterol test will examine your blood for:
- HDL (good) cholesterol (higher is better)
- LDL (bad) cholesterol (lower is better)
- Triglycerides (lower is better)
We will provide you with a report that you can take to discuss with your medical doctor.
Common Cholesterol/Lipid Panel
Take a look at our Cholesterol/Lipid Profile Comprehensive Panel:
- Lipoprofile NMR for LDL Particle Size (Nuclear Magnetic Resonance)
- Apolipoprotein B
- Lipid Panel with LDL:HDL Ratio, VLDL Calculation
- Cholesterol, Total
- HDL (High-density Lipoprotein Cholesterol) (HDL-C)
- LDL (Low-density Lipoprotein Cholesterol) (LDL-C)
- Tryglycerides (part of lipid profile)